Thursday, June 17, 2010

Safari

To break up our trip home from Berkeley Springs, we decided to stop at The Wilds for the sunset safari. Larry had surprised me with our first trip to The Wilds on our first anniversary. I had never heard of it and since then I have learned that very few people have. I think it is one of the best kept secrets in Ohio.

We arrived about 4:30 to check-in. We had been on the road (making various stops including Mehlman's Cafeteria, which was an experience in and of itself) since 8:30 that morning. We got Keaton ready and went in. For the sunset safari, they serve dinner on the deck overlooking the main pasture area (The Wilds has just under 10,000 acres of land. They are not even close to using all of it for animals but it is amazing to see animals like rhinos out on open pasture). We had dinner and boarded the open air buses at 6. For those of you that have spent time with us, you know Keaton starts to turn in to a pumpkin at 6:30. I was a little worried. For the sunset safari, animal management feeds the animals dinner just as the bus is pulling up. This was the first set of animals we greeted.

Keaton went absolutely wild seeing the animals so close up. In between spotting animals, she blew rasberries at just about everyone on the bus and they entertained her back in return. I was amazed how well she did on the trip. Towards the end she was definitely tired, but she kept it together. I have added a few more pictures of our trip. Larry did a great job of taking pictures, but there is nothing that can really match being there.




I uploaded all the pictures from our trip and Keaton's ninth month on to our kodak site. The link is on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment